What is Botox?
BOTOX® Cosmetic is a simple, nonsurgical, physician-administered treatment that can temporarily smooth moderate to severe frown lines between the brows in people from 18 to 65 years of age. One 10-minute treatment—a few tiny injections—and within days there’s a noticeable improvement in moderate to severe frown lines between the brows, which can last up to 4 months.
In 2005, almost 3.3 million procedures were performed with FDA-approved BOTOX® Cosmetic.
Botox For You
When it comes to selecting a physician-administered aesthetic treatment, chances are you’ll want proof, not just claims. The proof for BOTOX® Cosmetic is in the numbers.
- In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women surveyed rated the improvement in the appearance of frown lines between their brows as moderate to better 1 month after treatment. Results vary.
- Results can last for up to 4 months, and may vary.
- BOTOX® Cosmetic was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) in 2002 for the temporary treatment of moderate to severe frown lines between the brows in people ages 18 to 65, and almost 3.3 million procedures were performed in 2005 alone.
- The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ranked BOTOX® Cosmetic as the most popular physician-administered aesthetic procedure in the United States for the fourth year in a row (surgical and nonsurgical combined).
Why Skin Ages
One day you looked in the mirror and studied those lines that furrowed your brow, and you wondered: Where did they come from?
Is it just aging? Too much sun? Too much stress? In general, how skin ages and wrinkles is a complex process. It isn’t just about cellular changes, collagen depletion, hormone loss, damage caused by free radicals, and so on; it’s a combination of many factors.
The Anatomy of the Wrinkle
The lines that appear between your brows (glabella lines) actually result from muscle movement and the passage of time. You may have heard the expression “wearing your emotions on your sleeve,” but in reality you wear them on your face. If you’re angry or annoyed, for example, you knit your brows together. Underneath your skin, your facial muscles contract, cause a pleating of the overlying skin, and then, as anyone can see, you’re frowning.
After years of crinkling and wrinkling, those glabella lines start to linger longer and can become more pronounced. For women, whose faces tend to be more animated than men’s, and whose skin is typically more delicate, these lines may appear exaggerated and more permanent.
Fortunately, there is a way to temporarily reduce moderate to severe glabella lines. Treatment with BOTOX® Cosmetic can visibly smooth and soften moderate to severe frown lines between your brows. An improvement can be seen within days and may last up to 4 months, although results may vary. In clinical trials, nearly 90% of men and women surveyed rated the improvement in the appearance of frown lines between their brows as moderate to better 1 month after treatment.
The Botox Injection Process
The beauty of a BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment is that it’s a simple, 10-minute, non-surgical process. A few tiny injections, and within days there can be a noticeable improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between the brows that can last up to 4 months. Results may vary. And there’s no recovery time. You can even do it on your lunch break.
- Your doctor will administer several tiny injections of BOTOX®Cosmetic directly into the muscles that cause those moderate to severe frown lines between the brows.
- Your doctor will determine where to administer the injections by examining your ability to move certain muscles in your brow area. The location, size, and use of the muscles that create a furrowed brow vary markedly among individuals.
- No anesthesia is required, although your doctor may choose to numb the area with a cold pack or anesthetic cream prior to injecting. Discomfort is usually minimal and brief.
- You can expect to be in and out of the physician’s office without downtime. You may see a marked improvement in the moderate to severe frown lines between your brows within days. Improvement may continue for as long as a month, and could last up to 4 months.
BOTOX® Cosmetic for Men
BOTOX® Cosmetic is certainly not just for women. Women may talk about their looks more often, but men are concerned about their appearance as well.
In nature, some male species have all the luck when it comes to looks. Think about a peacock and a peahen. It’s the male who’s got that gorgeous train, not the female. And the father of the lion family is the one with the glorious mane. With humans, it doesn’t always work that way, but the fact is, guys do care about their looks.
Why shouldn’t they? A man who goes to the gym to work out and cares about his clothes and grooming is a man who not only cares about his appearance, but what it says about him personally, as well as in business.
Men are also doing something about their brow lines
A man who has pronounced lines between his brows may be perceived as angry or stressed—and he doesn’t want to look that way. That’s why it’s not surprising that men are also choosing BOTOX® Cosmetic, a non-surgical, physician-administered treatment.
A BOTOX® Cosmetic treatment requires little time out of the office. So, it’s possible to have the procedure done during a lunch hour and head right back to the office.
BOOK WITH HABERDERM